Principal Washington Becomes Permanent Principal at R.J Bailey School

Denise Manuel, Journalist

It was in the middle of my 1st school year at R.J Bailey when Mrs. Washington took the position as interim principal. I believe ithe i was not an easy transition for Mrs. Washington, but then I saw her capabilities as she readily assumed principalship.

I had the privilege to interview Mrs. Washington in her office when I was in 4th grade. I learned many things about her. She is motivated to become principal because of Mr. Ross(a former Superintendent)who saw leadership qualities in her. Mrs. Washington was a high school English teacher in Woodlands for 15 years before becoming the assistant principal to Mrs. Clarkson who was the former principal of R.J Bailey. She said that her job is to manage staff members and students. She also oversees the school budget and state tests. She is a fun mom of three boys and she loves to spend time with her family.

Kiana Washington was named principal of the R.J Bailey School in a unanimous decision of the Greenburgh Board of Education on December 17, 2015. She noted in her acceptance speech “I loved teaching, but then I realized that if I loved teaching, I would love being a principal who works with teachers.”

I had the honor to interview R.J Bailey Staff on how they felt about Mrs.Washington becoming the permanent principal. Mr. Nisbett, a school safety monitor, said “It is a great, she is a good leader and communicates and deals with problems. She is a fair person.”
Mrs. Iamonica, the school librarian, thinks that Mrs. Washington is a great principal with a sense of consistency and the ability to move forward. She said “As principal, she knows how to listen and give fair judgement. She has the best interest in interest in students and staff members.”
Mr. McLee who works in our technology lab in Audio Visual Department thinks that having a young principal like Mrs. Washington will bring in new ideas that will support staff and students. He thinks that she supports and listens.

Having learned about how some staff members feel and think about our school principal leads me to conclude that R.J Bailey is a great school to be. Our principal wants everything here at R.J Bailey to be the best.